Currently in the works - Paul Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently in the works - Paul Watson

Hi folks, Just touching base with you, it's been so busy of late making and providing new packs, breathing life into the voices and helping and supporting you as best I can - But right now, it's a pretty good time for HCS Voice Packs to take a breather, look carefully at all of the packs, make fixes here and there and fill in some of the gaps that need some attentive DIY from moi .... So! Here's what I'm currently working on

1. Astra - She is need of some attention in relation to the actual sound bytes themselves, the files re-recorded, things like the GalaXapediA and the other parts need to be improved for the random response facts, there's some other issues with sound on some of the earlier files compared to the later ones. so we're looking at this (me & Fade) and looking to make things right and more polished. I'll add the ships and their info as soon as I can.

2. Slowly but surely we will work through the packs, get some of the actors back in and make appropriate additional script for them to update and add to content. - I hope to do this in the next 6 weeks. I'm sure you "get it" that we can't just haul Norman Lovett & Tom Baker back in just for odd stuff, we can only do this if there's significant requirements, but for the other packs, we'll do what we can of course.

3. I will of course be adding another pack in the coming week(s) which many of you know about (KsAi) which is ....well... let's just say it wouldn't be suitable for children, contains profanity etc, nevertheless IT IS AWESOME - And another pack named "Jazz", a female, American, very smooth, very swish. Also I'm currently in talks about another classic British Sci-Fi character, very exciting... Again, just talks for now.

4. Xbox kinect development - Working hard to finalise the prerequisites for this, it's pretty straight forward in terms of the tech / hardware etc, there are considerations that have to be made / met for this sort of thing, so we're a little way off. But, we are researching this now.

There's a ton of other stuff I'm also doing, but I can't list it all - If you have any questions, I'm planning a live Q&A session in the coming weeks, more on that soon. Thanks again everyone

Paul Watson

Hi Paul,
    Well from my perspective from what you guys have produced so far (and Kate of course) I cannot wait. Everything you have done so far has been awesome, very original, extremely useful and above all FUN! On top of that the prices you have placed on these products means they are excellent value for money. So from me, thanks for what you have done so far and, if you keep bringing out original and quality products like this, I will keep buying. Thanks again and keep up the good work! Cheers. gary
    When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you

Comment

what RedRayg said...keep up the good work

Comment

I know Ive talked about this before , but is there any focus on how VA is able to organize profiles , Would like to export categories once selected in VA , at the moment this is not translated into the html , you have to manually go though and tick the ones you want.
        As I was new to VA , I of a course dump most of mine .vap's in the same profile I now have a Mix.vap for all the standard profiles and add ons , but would like to be able to have more that one .vap VA can access in "include other commands from profiles"

Exporting categories either .vap or html , would help sort the clutter when editing posting to forums, or printing just that category to view those commands
        Morrowind Mod readme layout ,
        showing generation why ? what a readme is http://i.imgur.com/iLEkkIm.gif?1

Comment

Originally posted by sutex View Post
          I know Ive talked about this before , but is there any focus on how VA is able to organize profiles , Would like to export categories once selected in VA , at the moment this is not translated into the html , you have to manually go though and tick the ones you want.
          As I was new to VA , I of a course dump most of mine .vap's in the same profile I now have a Mix.vap for all the standard profiles and add ons , but would like to be able to have more that one .vap VA can access in "include other commands from profiles"

Exporting categories either .vap or html , would help sort the clutter when editing posting to forums, or printing just that category to view those commands
          If i'm understanding this, you want to be able to sort the list of commands that appear in the import window? If so, simply click on the header at the top of each column to sort. Multiple clicks should toggle between ascending and descending.

The ability to use multiple profiles together has been asked in the official voiceattack forum. This is something that we are hopeful of for the future, but right now, we just have to be patient, and give the team time to work out the bugs.

Also, please remember that some of the commands are inter-dependent, so moving commands may lead to breaking part of the overall command - it's one of the challenges the programmers have to overcome. Give them a little time, it is a complex problem that is still being worked on and discussed.

The ability to export categories is interesting. I would ask that you post this over in the official voice attack forum as well, (if you haven't already). This sounds like it might be both useful and helpful.

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by Lensman; 05-16-2015, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpoteat View Post

If i'm understanding this, you want to be able to sort the list of commands that appear in the import window? If so, simply click on the header at the top of each column to sort. Multiple clicks should toggle between ascending and descending.

The ability to use multiple profiles together has been asked in the official voiceattack forum. This is something that we are hopeful of for the future, but right now, we just have to be patient, and give the team time to work out the bugs.

Also, please remember that some of the commands are inter-dependent, so moving commands may lead to breaking part of the overall command - it's one of the challenges the programmers have to overcome. Give them a little time, it is a complex problem that is still being worked on and discussed.

The ability to export categories is interesting. I would ask that you post this over in the official voice attack forum as well, (if you haven't already). This sounds like it might be both useful and helpful.

Hope this helps!
            You can set up a chain of includes already. To be honest, this makes it a little easier for me at least, because I make sure that any dependencies that are needed I am forced to include already. I also try to ensure that ALL logic for that profile is still included within that profile (ie if I set up ((commands)) then the stuff that calls them is within the same profile).

I will show you my layout

Profile:
            Baseline: This is where I put in my "stop all running commands", media shortcuts, general other odd and sods that I use.
            Profile Switch: This is my profile swapping
            Personal Pack: This is the same profile pack that you can purchase from us. Normally, you just import the commands into ASTRA (or any other profile). I keep it separate
            AI Pack: This is the ASTRA/DARK/Leo/Midnight AI pack.

For me, set the chain up like this

AI Pack: I edit the profile options so that it "includes" (not IMPORT) the commands from the Personal Pack.
            Personal Pack: I edit the profile options so that it includes the commands from the Profile Switch
            Profile Switch: I edit the profile so that it includes the commands from Baseline.

The functionality is there, and whilst being able to

Now granted, this is useful if you want consistency across your profiles. But I can also see the merit for being able to link directly several profiles so that they are "all on the same level", which gives you more ability to pick and choose (and update) accordingly.

Side note: There is one bonus to the "chain" route, instead of all the includes being on the same level, and that deals with command clashes. Seeing as the command is set by what is said, if you have several identical commands on the "same level", then you get a clash. If it goes via the "chain" method, then the one "closest" to the top of the command layer gets executed. All others lower down (as far as I can tell) get ignored.
            1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
            2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
            3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
            4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
            WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Ive read that twice , but still the penny is yet to drop, "chain of includes", maybe more coffee. the terms your using are specific and mean something, which I'm not getting Pictures ! with arrows lol
              Last edited by sutex; 05-17-2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

If you know how the "include" option inside the "edit profile" window works it all makes more sense.

Basically it allows you to have commands from 1[1] additional profile inside another. It is different to importing the commands directly, because when you import the commands, it is a "one and done" job. If the profile you import *changes* you have to reimport those commands separately.

However, the "include" option is different. You make the changes in one profile, and all others that "include" it get those changes as well.

Ok, so that is out of the way.

Now for the "fun" part. The include tree.

This is scarier than it really it. I have shown you how the include works at a basic level.

There is something else that is not really documented.

What happens if you include a profile that already has a profile included in it?

You get BOTH of the included profiles in the "first" profile.

I have several profiles that I use for various games. Eve Online, Guild Wars 2, Wildstar, City of Heroes, Elite Dangerous.[2]. Essentially one per game that I play
                I have another profile called "media controls" (because I listen to a lot of music). It also has a list of playlists that can be loaded up as and when.
                I have another profile called "windows functions".

This is how the "basic" profile goes. If you want to use commands from one profile in voice attack, you have to set it as the active profile. And that is understandable. I mean, I wouldn't want to use my Guild Wars 2 profile when I am playing Elite Dangerous or Eve Online. They are wildly different games with completely different commands.

So I keep them separate. However, for me... I feel that always having to manually change the profile to what I want is annoying. Why cannot I do that with Voice Attack itself? Well you can. I can choose to set the commands up in each and every "game" profile. This however ends up taking more and more time, the more games I add voice profiles for. For each new game I add, I have to add those changes to ALL of the other previous gaming profiles.

It ends up taking a while.

So what I do instead is create a separate profile called "profile Switch". And I set each gaming profile to "include" the "profile switch" profile.

This means that after I make a new gaming profile, I just add its entry into the profile switch, and all of my gaming profiles are able to use the new command.

I now have 4 categories of voice profiles

1) Gaming profiles
                2) Profile Switch.
                3) Media controls.
                4) Window Commands.

So right now we have the chain of includes looking like this.

Gaming Profile ---- Include commands from ---> Profile Switch

Media controls and Window Commands are separate right now.

But now I can easily switch between my game profiles with a voice command[3]

But we want to add them into the mix. What is the point of having to manually flick over to the media controls to use them. It could be faster to do the action with my mouse and keyboard directly instead of trying to use a voice command. So I add them to the tree.

Gaming Profile ---- Include commands from ----> Profile Switch ---- Include commands from ---> Media Controls.

And this works. Now my Gaming Profiles have the ability to use commands from Media Controls. Its excellent. I rock out to many tunes along the way[4].

If I want to add more profiles into the chain, then I just need to make sure that the profiles either side of where I insert it into the chain are updated as well. You only need to do this ONCE per new "link", so don't think that it will be a lot of work to keep up to date. It isn't. The part that takes the longest is working out the initial chain of profiles that you want.

So for me, here my "main" chain (using how I have named them).

Personal Pack --- Includes commands from ---> Profile Switch ---> Includes Commands from ---> Baseline

That makes sense. It is the Personal Pack, it has the profile switch and it has my "base line" commands.

All of my Elite Dangerous AI's then just have one profile to include.

ASTRA Full House --- Includes commands from ---> Personal Pack

I don't need to do anything else. That is already done.

If I have a different game that I am playing, then I can quite easily do this:

Wildstar Profile --- Includes commands from ---> Profile Switch.

I don't need the Personal pack, so I don't start it off there. HOWEVER. I do need the Profile Switch and Baseline commands. Those are my "bread and butter" commands that I want across all profiles [5]

[1] One profile at a time. There is something that you can do to get around this
                [2] This is not a suggestion to what we are doing with Voice Attack. This just makes it easier as an example
                [3] Yes, I know that there is another method. This is show off the include options
                [4] http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pu...kOut_small.jpg
                [5] And yes, we have thought of what you are thinking. There are other things that Voice Attack needs to do to make sure that this all works fine.

Comment

Very cool. I was aware of the profile option of "include cmds from another profile" but didn't realize that it could be multiple layers AND it would resolve cmd conflicts. (top down precedence)
                  So for now .. I'm only concerned with ED. Eve will come later.
                  I'd already pulled out (exported) all the galaXapedia, Educational, ships, etc cmds into a "library" profile.
                  I'd be using the basic profile as I don't use my warthog opting for mouse and G13.
                  I'd crafted several cmds based off macros I'd done in the G13 and recently discovered the "shutup" cmd.

So if understand this multi-tiered include from ... the "basic" would be just that... basic ... not very many cmds at all, shutup, and media cmds, etc . Things that would apply to every profile.
                  Then I'd have my "library" profile with option to include cmds from basic.
                  ... then personal (containing only my tweaks and custom cmds) with option to include cmds from library.
                  ...then 1.6.5 Basic Profile with option to include cmds from personal.

What is the "active" profile .. Basic ?
                  and in my example above, if there are cmds that are in the 1.6.5 Basic Profile that I've "tweaked" in Personal, the ones in Personal take precedence.

My reason for exporting and subsequent removal of the "library" items from the 1.6.5 Basic Profile is to reduce the shear amount of cmds I have to work with in any one profile. (there has got to be a limit or performance hit at some point)

Gangrel, anyway of getting your Basic and Personal vaps for reference/example ?
                  I drank what ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tacyon View Post
                    Very cool. I was aware of the profile option of "include cmds from another profile" but didn't realize that it could be multiple layers AND it would resolve cmd conflicts. (top down precedence)
                    This is only as far as I have been able to test. But when I have had a clash, it always resolved the same way.

So for now .. I'm only concerned with ED. Eve will come later.
                    I'd already pulled out (exported) all the galaXapedia, Educational, ships, etc cmds into a "library" profile.
                    I'd be using the basic profile as I don't use my warthog opting for mouse and G13.
                    I'd crafted several cmds based off macros I'd done in the G13 and recently discovered the "shutup" cmd.

So if understand this multi-tiered include from ... the "basic" would be just that... basic ... not very many cmds at all, shutup, and media cmds, etc . Things that would apply to every profile.
                    Then I'd have my "library" profile with option to include cmds from basic.
                    ... then personal (containing only my tweaks and custom cmds) with option to include cmds from library.
                    ...then 1.6.5 Basic Profile with option to include cmds from personal.

What is the "active" profile .. Basic ?
                    Nope. 1.6.5 is the active profile. You just got the priority order wrong. It's understandable, because common sense (with how VA deals with importing of commands to an existing profile) is to overwrite the commands if there is a clash. As far as I can tell, with the INCLUDE option, VA runs through the profiles in order (starting with active, then going to the profile that it includes, then the next included profile so on and so forth) until it finds the command to run. It runs the first one it meets.

and in my example above, if there are cmds that are in the 1.6.5 Basic Profile that I've "tweaked" in Personal, the ones in Personal take precedence.
                    Wrong way around. 1.6.5 takes precedence as that is the one that is active. If the command isn't in there, then it goes to the Personal. Then if it isn't there it would look in "library", if it isn't there, then it goes to look in Basic.

My reason for exporting and subsequent removal of the "library" items from the 1.6.5 Basic Profile is to reduce the shear amount of cmds I have to work with in any one profile. (there has got to be a limit or performance hit at some point)
                    There is no actual limit. Performance only starts taking a hit once you start including prefix/suffix commands in there, and that is jsut based on the possible combinations that you can end up with. And this goes up faster and faster the more prefix/suffix commands you have AND with the size of your normal command list.

I found a bible profile listed on the VA google group, its 81Kb large (so very small compared to ours). It apparently "expands" out to over 200,000 separate commands (this is quite possibly due to how VA deals with the Prefix/suffix setting up. I gave up waiting for it to load after about 20 minutes (i7 4790K processor, so not slow). However I would say that you would have to go out of your way before you have to start worrying about performance being affected

Our profiles are less than 2000 commands large. You would have to do a LOT of work to get a performance hit I would say.

Gangrel, anyway of getting your Basic and Personal vaps for reference/example ?
                    There is nothing special that I have done with them. The "profile switch" profile is included in all of the recent profiles. Although this requires a small bit of work on your side to get working (instructions included in there though). The personal pack is just what you can buy from our store (seriously, its awesome, buy it now).

And your basic pack seems to cover the same bases. I am not sure what you would learn from it, as there is nothing special to the commands (slight lie... media global hot keys need to be sent via the "standard" method and not DirectX method). And the rest is taken from other profiles here (like the HCS radio playlists for example)

Comment

"If you know how the "include" option inside the "edit profile" window works it all makes more sense." Ah! yes , I have one there already called Mix profiles which includes everything in "standard profiles and add ons" to reduce clutter and the system having to load it. Yes ?

The "include" option only allows one , which has been spoken of before, wish I could chain there like this "include" option...Mix profiles;Music;galnetnews

My main Current ED profile just uses the "include" option Mix profiles ED Current profile has everything else, To use profile switching , for my Music or Galnet news reader it not practical as once in either of those profile I'll have to command Astra to switch back , As I have only have one voice pack and that's Astra. I would find myself saying "jump" only to find nothing happen cause I'm not in that profile after saying "computer next radio station", best if Astra is always on, ( listening) for all the main commands

Im getting this right ? , if completely of the mark Could you post your
                      1) Gaming profiles
                      2) Profile Switch.
                      3) Media controls.
                      4) Window Commands.
                      .vap profile switching , so I can see the commands

Comment

Originally posted by sutex View Post
                        "If you know how the "include" option inside the "edit profile" window works it all makes more sense." Ah! yes , I have one there already called Mix profiles which includes everything in "standard profiles and add ons" to reduce clutter and the system having to load it. Yes ?

The "include" option only allows one , which has been spoken of before, wish I could chain there like this "include" option...Mix profiles;Music;galnetnews
                        I would do them like this: Main Profile which includes commands from Galnet which includes commands from music. You can swap Galnet and Music profiles around if you so desire. There is no need to use profile switching here UNLESS you plan to use another AI for different responses.

My main Current ED profile just uses the "include" option Mix profiles ED Current profile has everything else, To use profile switching , for my Music or Galnet news reader it not practical as once in either of those profile I'll have to command Astra to switch back , As I have only have one voice pack and that's Astra. I would find myself saying "jump" only to find nothing happen cause I'm not in that profile after saying "computer next radio station", best if Astra is always on, ( listening) for all the main commands
                        Then don't use the profile switch to flick between Music or Galnet news reader. Take them out of the profile switch and just introduce them to the chain normally. The profile switch is ONLY used if there will be a case of "I want to use THESE commands/responses or THOSE commands/responses, but never BOTH commands/responses at the same time".

You have the include order incorrect then. If the command is meant to be used in as many profiles as possible, then the "logical" chain should be the same. It looks like you have the order totally reversed from what it is meant to be.

Step by step instruction on how to set a chain of includes up.

1) Get one profile. Click the Edit button on it. At the bottom where it says "Include commands from another profile". Choose the profile that you want it to include commands from.
                        2) Go to THAT Profile. Click the Edit button on it. At the bottom where it says "include commands from another profile. Choose the profile that you want it to include commands from.
                        3) Repeat as many times as you want to include commands from.

Im getting this right ? , if completely of the mark Could you post your
                        1) Gaming profiles
                        2) Profile Switch.
                        3) Media controls.
                        4) Window Commands.
                        .vap profile switching , so I can see the commands
                        You DON'T Need the "profile switch" profile though unless you plan to switch between a set of active commands/responses (ie Changing the AI responses for example). And at this point, the profile switch is set accordingly. And to be honest... the profiles are already available here on the forum or in the packs. Profile Switch? That is the one that is included with the packs. That is "MY" profile switch profile. Media Controls? HCS Radio Pack (here on the profiles). Gaming Profiles? These are the AI profiles which you get.

Those are *completely* stock. I did nothing "special" in those profiles

And to be honest, I cannot see how my profiles would help you out. When you export the .vap, it doesnt tell you which profile it includes. It just lists the commands contained *within* that profile, and just that profile. It is totally standalone, it doesn't have information about which profile it should include.

For me, because I use Voice Attack with a range of other games, I put the "non game" commands closer to the baseline profile. I then put the "game specific" ones higher up (closer to my AI profile).

I hope this image (bad MSpaint skills to the fore!)

Why does Personal Pack include Profile Switch and not the other way around? Because I don't necessarily want my Guild Wars 2/Wildstar/City of Heroes profiles to have responses which are "tuned" to Elite Dangerous (the personal pack), but they DO need the profile Switch though so I can change profile without having to use the mouse.

Comment

Keep the GW2 commands in.......would make fights interesting when you ask Astra to swap your mace for a greatsword when switching between primary and secondary firegroups.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gangrel View Post

I would do them like this: -----snip-------
                            Awesome, Awesome, Awesome... (you may be modest, but this is awesome as far as I am concerned. I can't wait to put this into practice!)
                            When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you

Comment

Xbox kinect development? What are you guys going to do with Kinect?

Comment

Working...
                              X