Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is great for importing a clean new profile. But what's the recommended way of retaining our own profile customizations while also upgrading to the latest improvements?

Since I first got VA and a HCS Voice Pack (Leo) a couple of years ago, I've made a number of customizations. At first I had to put my own Elite Dangerous keybindings into the base commands (eg, "((0%))"). But I also added keyboard shortcuts to activate some commands, and then added a couple of new commands myself.

With the new update there's a great looking "Singularity" profile with a ton of really nice commands in it, which I'd love to use. But if I just import it (per the description above), I lose all my current profile's customizations. It seems I should figure out a setup where I can enjoy this (and future) new profile updates, but keep my customizations.

What would you recommend?

Comment

simply...recreate the commands from scratch. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but this is a whole new profile written from the ground up so nothing you have done previously would work
      The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

Hi TheThingIs. Thanks for replying.

I realize the new Singularity is much newer than my previous version, so it's generally incompatible. My question was more about what's the right setup for the future? How can I add my customizations to a profile, but still benefit from future upgrades to the standard (Singularity) profile.

Comment

ok I see now...we recommend creating another profile where you add custom cmds and then you link it into the main profile by use of the "include commands from" functionality. That way when you update the main profile your custom ones are left untouched and you recreate that link. Have a read about the include cmds from in the VA manual. I'd like to do a proper instruction on doing this but finding time right now is hard. Perfect for a nice helpful user to jump in and do if they were so inclined to help out

Comment

Thanks TheThingIs .This is kinda mind-blowing. I took some time to find it in the Voice Attack manual and figure out what they were talking about. I had no idea that icon of a check box was a button that gives access to important settings!

Here's what I'm planning to do. Please can you let me know if it sounds like what you had in mind?
            1. I'll create a new profile for use with Elite Dangerous. It will be a slimmed-down version of what I have now:
            2. But I'll take out all the pre-existing commands that came with the Voice Pack.
            3. I'll keep my own commands that I created.
            4. I'll create a new set of commands for my own keyboard shortcuts to pre-existing commands. They will just forward the call onto the correct command in the Singularity profile.
            5. I'll use the "Include Commands From" setting so my new personal profile defers to Singularity.
            6. Whenever there's an update to Singularity, I'll just make sure my Voice Attack has the new Singularity.
            7. Any new keyboard shortcuts or new commands I want to add, I'll add them to my personal profile so Singularity will remain in its original version.
            This feels like the right way to do it. The alternative (use Singularity as the main profile and have it "Include Commands From" my personal profile) feels like the wrong way around. I probably want my personal profile to override Singularity, if there's ever a duplicate command. I think the only example I can think of is if I were to edit Singularity to change the timing or the voice response to a command.

Comment

it sounds fine but Singularity has to be the main profile or it won't work

Comment

Oh. That sounds important. Can you explain why Singularity has to be the main profile or it won't work?

If that's the case, then I may have trouble getting my own commands and keybindings to work.

Comment

without going into great detail...the plugin can only work properly with a main profile

Comment

Ignore pls all sorted.
                    Last edited by Zarlock; 05-01-2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I purchased ED through Steam. Steam Library is loaded on my C: drive. VA is loaded on my D: drive and so is the voice pack. Orion is responding to my commands vocally but with no results eg. Launch, Orion responds but my ship just sits there. Some commands actually work but not all. Is this a key bind issue where I have to manually go in and bind every key or is it an issue of Steam being on my C: drive and VA is on my D: drive? Additionally, I have a Thrustmaster T 16. HOTUS and I do have Custom selected on ED controls.

Comment

Working...
                      X