Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASTRA Update - Says to back up my profile. Exactly what does that mean.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASTRA Update - Says to back up my profile. Exactly what does that mean.

Good morning,

I am planning on updating ASTRA with the newest version. The email I received says to "Uninstall the "HCS PlugIns" before you install both setup.exe and installplugins.exe - Be sure to backup / rename your existing install of your pack."

Exactly what does that mean? Which folder in which location do I need to back up?

When uninstalling - I figured out from searching these forums, that means to uninstall via Control Panel -> Programs (and Features - using Win 7) - and uninstall the "HCS Plugins." Do I just need to uninstall the plugins, or should I also uninstall "HCS Voicepacks Astra version 2.4?"

The instructions are rather vague.
    Thanks

*Edit* And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just prefer detailed step-by-step instructions so that I know I'm not making a mistake.
    Last edited by Sayne; 10-09-2017, 04:52 PM.

back up simply means for you to make a copy of what is working before you make any changes so that you can roll back if any issues occur. Usually I will find the VoiceAttack directory and make a full copy of that as everything is in there. The profile can be exported if you've made any customisation's otherwise leave it be if you have not. Import the newest profile and if it has the same name it'll tag "-1" on to it so you end up with a duplicate. Once you are happy everything is working and you are happy you just delete the old folder and profile and remove the -1 off the name
    The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

OK, so backup the entire VoiceAttack Directory? Is that really necessary? it's a pretty big folder. In my case E:\Games\VoiceAttack. There are a bunch of sub-folders in that, some of which I assume are required for VoiceAttack to run, some are the HCS Profile?

So I guess this leads me to a bigger question, and the base of my confusion: When I import the profile, what exactly gets imported? I'm not exactly clear on the basic file structure of how voice attack works, what elements compose the "Astra" profile and how they interact. That understanding would help me greatly... I never do well when I'm flying blind, I always do better when I understand what's actually going on.

And back to one of my prior questions: I need to uninstall "HCS VoicePacks A.S.T.R.A. version 2.4" from the control panel before doing all this?

Thanks

Edit - Also, too... I love this product. It's so cool to talk to my ship and have it do what I want (once it began to understand my mumbly Pittsburghese) I've just never really grasped... how it actually works and what I'm doing when I'm installing it.
      Last edited by Sayne; 10-10-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

The profile you import is code which tells voiceattack what to do when you issue a command. It tells it what spoken phrases to listen for, what keys to press when something is said and what sounds to play. The sounds folder in VA contains all of the actual sound files. Yes it's pretty big so deleting it after you are happy with the update is wise depending how much spare storage space you have. As with any update, making a backup before applying changes is something we always recommend. That way you can revert to your previous setup quickly if a major problem does occur. Uninstalling using the control panel is one method of doing it but there are other ways too depending on how pc savvy you are.
        The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

Working...
        X