Unable to retrieve VoiceAttack paths on update/new voice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to retrieve VoiceAttack paths on update/new voice

I got the update call to go to Singularity 2.2, and also purchased Astra to augment/supplement Vasco. I downloaded both the latest plugin and the new Astra pack, which comes with the latest plugin. On attempting to install (run as admin or not) I get an error:

"Unable to retrieve VoiceAttack paths. Please check your VoiceAttack is the latest version and you have run it at least once"

I'm running VA 1.7.2, installed in the standard location. In fact, after uninstalling the plugin and voicepack and some faffing, I even reinstalled VA as the latest version with the same result.

Installing the older download of Vasco that I had purchased works -- both plugin and voice will install correctly.

Installing the newly download 1.2 Astra/2.2 Singularity repeatedly generates the same issue.

I've even tried manually seting a VA_Path sysvar as the correct path, also to no avail. There doesn't appear to be an ability to set this, and I don't see a .ini or other file I can tweak -- and I'm in the standard location.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Last edited by expatbrit; 08-05-2018, 10:16 PM.

The plugin gets the paths from the Voice Attack registry settings.

What happens if you run VA as a normal user and not as admin?
    1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
    2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
    3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
    4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
    WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangrel View Post
      The plugin gets the paths from the Voice Attack registry settings.
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/VoiceAttack.com/VoiceAttack/AppsFolder is set and looks right

(And it works with the earlier install.exe, which I think is super-odd. )

What happens if you run VA as a normal user and not as admin?
      Same thing. Well -- it immediately requests a priv escalation to admin so that it can install. Then throws the same error.

Comment

Just for the sake of sanity, can you uninstall voice attack, install it so that it *isn't* inside program files,

Double check the Sound/App settings in voice attack are set to the current VA folders (ie within itself)

Then try running the plugin installer.

The only other thing I Can think of is if you are running an AV or something

Comment

Just for the sake of sanity, can you uninstall voice attack, install it so that it *isn't* inside program files,
          OK. Tried installing in C:\VoiceAttack

Regkey looks right; uninstalled from Programs and Features, then deleted the HCS voicepacks, then deleted the folder, then deleted the registry key. Then I rebooted. When in doubt, hit it with a bigger bloody hammer, eh?

Double check the Sound/App settings in voice attack are set to the current VA folders (ie within itself)
          Checked this and the regkey. Both appear correct.

Disabled A/V, just in case (though the old installer for 2.1.2 was working. Never thought of A/V in this case)

Then try running the plugin installer.
          Same error. I love running into unique problems...

The only other thing I Can think of is if you are running an AV or something
          I never thought of that (see above) but I have disabled it temporarily

Comment

The older installer didn't read the registry for installation location, so some people were choosing the "wrong" folder for stuff to reside in, which then resulted in some errors. This method by *default* should get the correct locations from VA, unless you want to install them elsewhere.

I will talk to the coders to see what can be done to "tweak" the installer to at least make it usable in all cases

Comment

The older installer didn't read the registry for installation location, so some people were choosing the "wrong" folder for stuff to reside in, which then resulted in some errors. This method by *default* should get the correct locations from VA, unless you want to install them elsewhere.

I will talk to the coders to see what can be done to "tweak" the installer to at least make it usable in all cases
              Well...

I appear to have sorted it. I wasn't running VA as an admin (since then I had to run customizer to get to my binds directory for Elite) , and may have done repeated re-installs SINCE installing. After running as root, not as a regular user, and THEN attempting to install the packs, life is good and it appears to function.

Interesting -- the regkeys don't APPEAR to have changed and I still don't see anything different, but I can't think of anything else that has changed...

Comment

Welcome to the world of "Windows user access"....

Comment

expat how did you get the plugin running? I've the exact same problem as you and I cannot get the plugin to install, my default path for va is c program files x86 but I dl all update to my e drive, I've tried both admin install and non admin and copied the install exe to the c drive and get the same message as you did, just out of curiosity I ran a previous plugin installer and that works fine, but the latest one gives me the same error message your getting
                  Last edited by Harleygjc; 08-07-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

make sure you have installed v1.7.2 or higher of VoiceAttack...then run VA atleast once which adds the info we need to the registry. If that still doesn't work then try running the installer as admin
                    The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I went into voice attack and d/l the latest version, ran it,closed it then tried again and it worked fine! oh the joys of windows acting up! I'm now back up to date (for now)

Comment

I am running into the exact same problem, using steam voice attack. Reinstalled, tried as admin, but still getting same error, antivirus is off also.

Comment

Uninstall the voice attack, reinstall it.

Then run it once.

Then you *should* be good to go.

Comment

Uninstall the voice attack, reinstall it.

Then run it once.

Then you *should* be good to go.
                            Done twice and failed with same error.

Comment

That is most strange. We use the registry for Voice Attack to get the path locations to make sure that everything goes into the correct locations (all according to voice attack settings for Sound and App locations).

Can you try changing the location in the VA settings, shut down VA and then try a test install (ie basically see if the change gets written to the registry.

The location of the information that we use from the VA registry entries is at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VoiceAttack.com\VoiceAt tack\LastRun

Just need to view it there, no need to actually make any changes to it.There should be entries for AppsFolder and SoundsFolder which is the information that we use.

Comment

Working...
                              X