Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error: The sound file path is invalid: - Invalid URI: The URI is empty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Error: The sound file path is invalid: - Invalid URI: The URI is empty.

    I've been using Astra & Verity in Elite Dangerous for several months now without issues, but twice today I've had an issue where the voice pack stops responding with sounds (although it still issues commands) and when I look in the VA console I see "The sound file path is invalid: - Invalid URI: The URI is empty" every time it tries to play a sound. This happened about an hour into a session. After the session I rebooted my PC, then a while later played again, and the same thing happened after an hour or so.

    I saw an old post about this under 'bugs' but with no specific long term solution other than restarting VA. Is there any more info on this, or ideas as to why now all of a sudden it would be happening after months of working without any problems?

    Thanks in advance!


  • #2
    Under the audio tab of the VA settings, what do you have the audio output type set to? Integrated, WMP, Legacy?
    1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
    2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
    3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
    4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
    WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

    Comment


    • #3
      It's set to Windows Media Components.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can you swap it over to integrated please
        1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
        2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
        3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
        4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
        WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

        Comment


        • #5
          Sure, I will do that. May I ask, what is the difference when I make that change? Is this something known to cause that problem, or are we troubleshooting at this point?

          As if on queue to further the mystery, I had VA crash on me today while playing after throwing "System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute." I'm going to report this to VA as well. It's always so much fun when something's been running without a hitch for a long time and then all of a sudden stuff like this starts to happen. I can't immediately pinpoint anything that's changed recently on my system that could be causing issues.

          Anyway, thanks much for your help with this. I'll try the other setting and see what happens.

          Comment


          • #6
            The difference is what sound engine VA uses to play back sound files.

            Whilst the Windows Media Components is perfectly capable, the integrated mode allows us to achieve a few extra things
            1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
            2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
            3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
            4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
            WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

            Comment


            • #7
              Great, thanks. I've made the change, will see how it goes. I've also posted in the VA Steam forum, in case the crash was more than just a one-time quirk.

              Comment


              • #8
                So as an update, I haven't had any more problems after about 3 hours playing since changing the audio output type. No repeat of the crash either.

                I did do something else after digging around in my system again looking for anything that might have changed. I noticed that my AV software (Bitdefender) had updated itself to a new client version recently, and in the process wiped out scanning exclusions I had in place on the VA folders, HCS profile/sound folders and on the ED folders where the journal is written. I once again excluded all these from on-access scanning. I think it's possible that the crash I had could have been because of latency introduced by on-access scanning of the journal. Maybe this could also have played a part in the invalid sound file path problem.

                Anyway, for now I'm cautiously optimistic that things are sorted out. I'll post again if I have any additional issues. Thanks!

                Comment

                Working...
                X