Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Crewman (Name)" not being recognized within "crew command roster"

Hello,
    Recently started having issues with voice recognition but only with the "crew command roster" function; the bosun whistle plays but I have an issue when trying to assign crew members. Because it only seems to happen with this particular command, I don't know whether the problem is with some kind of cached data, Singularity, Voice Attack, or the recognition profile.

Variant 1: Happens 90% of the time (because I'm impatient)
    90% of the time it won't recognize when I say, "Crewman (Name)". It doesn't matter which name I say (I think I've bought them all except Ksai and Doris, and I've verified they're all installed correctly), so let's go with Alix for the example.
    1. I say "crew command roster"
    2. Voice Attack instantly recognizes it, the green dot in the log window appears, and the bosun whistle plays
    3. I say "Crewman Alix"
    4. Voice Attack just sits there, no "unrecognized command" error appears, it just acts like I didn't say anything or it didn't hear anything.
    5. Maybe 5-10 seconds have gone by at this point, so I'll say "Crewman Alix" again, and then Voice Attack instantly spits out:
      1. Unrecognized command: "crewman Alix crewman Alix"
    It's like it heard the command correctly the first time but didn't act on it / let Singularity know it needed to do something.

Variant 2: Happens 10% of the time (when I'm silently stewing with frustration)
    The other 10% of the time, it will recognize the name but it takes upwards of 30 seconds before it adds a log line with the green dot and Singularity's appropriate voice responds.
    1. I say "crew command roster"
    2. Voice Attack instantly recognizes it, the green dot in the log window appears, and the bosun whistle plays
    3. I say "Crewman Alix"
    4. No response, no indication of error, no indication it even heard me at all
    5. Wait, in silence, for ~30 seconds
    6. Voice Attack finally registers in the log window with a green dot that it recognized "Crewman Alix"
    7. Alix responds (and when I assign her a crew station, she acknowledges it right away).
    Obviously, Variant 2 is probably the actual situation of what's happening, but I'm too impatient so it causes Variant 1. Either way, would playing with Voice Attack's "Command Weight" setting help here, or is it more "Confidence Level"? Or does this indicate more of an issue with the Windows 10 speech recognition profile? Or something else?

I'd never previously seen Voice Attack & Singularity behave this way, and it doesn't have issues picking up other commands at all, so I'm stumped at how to fix and didn't want to start meddling with things until I consulted the experts.

Thank you if you can help.

Do you have the drop down Target box in the voice attack window set to "Active Window"?

If not, swap it over to that.
    1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
    2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
    3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
    4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
    WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Yes, it's set to "Active Window".

Comment

Depending on background audio levels,you might find that ticking the "Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation" and "Disable Adaptive Recognition" on the recognition tab, might help out.

Fiddling with the Confidence level (increasing it) and decreasing command weight, might help out as well.
        1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
        2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
        3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
        4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
        WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Ok I’ll try those tonight (and will try to remtto report back). Thank you Gangrel.

Comment

This type of extreme slow down has also been linked to a corrupt speech profile. Try training a new profile and see if that helps. You can keep your current one as windows allows multiple.
            The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

I tried messing with the recommended settings but it wasn't helping, so I added "crewman" and "crewman" and then the individual "crewman (name)" for the top voices I use most frequently to the Windows Speech Dictionary to see if it would help.

Besides ticking the two boxes Gangrel referenced, I set:
              Command Weight: 40
              Confidence Level: 40
              Unrecognized Speech Delay: 0 (from 250)

Everything combined seemed to help, at least when using the built-in speech recognition to dictate to Notepad (where it got it right more than not), but Voice Attack still wasn't having any of it. If it's using the default speech recognition profile, shouldn't it work the same as Win 10's speech recognition? Why would one work ok and the other not?

Guess the only option at this point is to try creating & training a new speech profile over the next few days and see if that will fix it.

The whole thing is just so weird... it literally all worked fine until it didn't.

Comment

Ok, set up a new profile and it's back to being flawless, so, yeah, corrupt profile.
                I'm going to keep the 2 boxes ticked that Gangrel recommended since I am in a noisy environment (lots of background noise) and I think the adaptive recognition may have played a part in things going sideways.
                Also, set Command Weight to 80 and Confidence Level to 20 since I *do* want to see if it's having trouble recognizing me.

Thank you both!

Comment

Working...
                X