No announcement yet.

HCS Binds set to Wrong Keyboard Layout.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCS Binds set to Wrong Keyboard Layout.

I received the last update for Vega and Midnight, and after some difficulty in programming keys into the profile, I found that the "HCS VoicePacks" contain ".binds" set to the WRONG Keyboard Layout.

--------Cut from the HCS X55 2.2 bind file in the ASTRA Voicepack Directory----------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <Root PresetName="HCSPacks X55 2.2" MajorVersion="1" MinorVersion="8">
    <KeyboardLayout>en-GB</KeyboardLayout>

As you can see, the Keyboard Layout is set to "en-GB". This is true for all of the bind files for Vega and Midnight as well. Since I only own these three VP's, I assume other VP's may have the same problem.

Of course, the work-around is to edit them and change the "GB" to "US", but I believe these files were given to us via the latest update, as they were all "en-US" the last time I looked.

As well, I have another bug. I used an X-52 Pro and I was able to drop the HCS VoicePack Profile Binds from the "Profiles" directory of the VP install point to the Elite "Control/Bindings" directory in the hidden Appdata directory and all of the HCS VoicePack "SHOWED UP" in the Elite "Controls" menu, and I was able to select them, edit them and once edited, use them under "Custom.x.x.x.binds". This all worked as expected.

Just recently, I bought a Saitek X-55 Controller Set, replacing the X-52. I went to the "Controls/Bindings" directory in Appdata and cleared out the HCS Voicepack binds for the X-52 and replaced them "in that directory" with the X-55 binds. Now, when I go to Elite's "Controls" menu, all I see is "Custom, Saitek X55, Generic Joystick, Keyboard & Mouse, and Empty", but "NONE" of the "HCS X55 Binds" will show up in Elite's Controls Menu. I checked to see if the binds were somehow "hidden" or were not in the right place, but all seems to be correct.

So, why would the HCS X52pro.binds show up in Elite's Controls Menu, but NOT the Saitek X55.binds? This one, I don't get at all. I have set admin permissions on the "Frontier Developments" directory in Appdata and this worked for the X52 binds to be seen by Elite, but for some reason, the "HCS X55 VoicePack 2.2.binds" will not show up, or are present in Elites Controls Menu.

I thought it might be because the "Keyboard Layout" was not set correctly for my language, i.e. "en-GB" and changed this for all the HCS X55 Binds, but this did not make them show up in Elite's Control Menu. Until the Keyboard Layout was changed to "en-US", it will cause a problem if you rename the HCS bind to "custom.x.x.x.bind and try to use it that way.

Any ideas?
    Truth is the reality in which we all agree. (c) WRR-1986
    As a species, we are all singularly unique. But in the end, humanity is not cosmically significant. (c) WRR-2017

simple answer is that they have not been verified to work with the latest updates of Elite. We have it on our todo list to look at them or maybe completely remove them, we shall see. With the plugins now able to read your binds then we are currently recommending people to simply create your own binds using whatever keys you want to.
    The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

Originally posted by TheThingIs View Post
      simple answer is that they have not been verified to work with the latest updates of Elite. We have it on our todo list to look at them or maybe completely remove them, we shall see. With the plugins now able to read your binds then we are currently recommending people to simply create your own binds using whatever keys you want to.
      And even that has its own separate issues...

Sods law, it isn't showing due to my failure in manually putting the binds together...
      1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
      2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
      3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
      4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
      WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Originally posted by TheThingIs View Post
        I have to ask, you mean eliminate the VA HCS Binds themselves, and/or the "VA Profiles" you can now import into Elite?

It seems regardless of efforts to create, share or offer to trade profiles for controllers in any form is being frowned upon, leaving everyone having to create their own, make copies, restore them if overwritten by updates and backed up for restores if needed. What a pain this has become. Some other strategy is needed here, as the one thing I was trying to avoid, was painfully sitting down and programming a profile for my specific needs and to manage it across the needs of all the software involved.

"Sods law, it isn't showing due to my failure in manually putting the binds together..." Is this why I cannot see them in the "Bindings" directory of Appsdata?

I wish I were a software developer myself, because what is needed for all of this is a separate application for Elite, possibly web driven, where I could access all "bindings" submitted by users, and then import one for my needs, and after the import, it is visible for "edit" (something like the Saitek Profile Software for many Saitek Sticks, but for all styles and models of controllers) and from there, I could build "ONE Profile" and resubmit it back to the "Profile Database" for others to download and use. So, if HCS is going to eliminate the profiles from the software and updates, you "HCS" could add website functions to select, edit, build, alter, download and submit "Elite/SC Controller Profiles", all built on the HCS Website. This concept is no different from the way Elite's API is used by others to build complete websites dedicated to Elite's Market, Star Map, Galaxy, Route Planners, and a Complete Elite Commander Profile, all driven off-site from Elite, but in support of Elite.

A website dedicated to programming your controller by asking the community for submissions of controller profiles, some with VA/HCS specific actions, to be used in compiling a database of controllers providing the same value as ED Market Connector or EDSM, by using Elite Provided and User Provided Controller Profiles, the same way in which the other Elite data is provided (although not through an API) by users for all to benefit from.

I'm tired of building Controller Profiles. I ran a website for some twenty years offering controller profiles for joysticks from the first ThrustMasters to the latest sticks. Although I had a tremendous downloadable content which was very much appreciated by all gamers, slowly, over the years, controllers became smarter, and the need to "load a profile directly into the device" became less and less necissary, as profile need moved off of programming the controllers and into the game itself programming the controller. Games now recognise the device and provide a pre-packaged (binded) profile for that controller, I finally shut the site down.

Not unlike my Logitech TV Remote, where I can go to the Logitech site, set up my remote functions, download it to the device, and away I go. It could be that simple. Open a webpage, select your controller so the site knows what you have to start, and choose to "edit" or "download" a preset binding. Set a path on the website for where the "controller.bind" is to be downloaded (in Elite's Profile Directory) and your done.

Oh well, none of that will happen, so I guess I will just have to suck it up, sit down and program the dam thing.

Be well.
        As a species, we are all singularly unique. But in the end, humanity is not cosmically significant. (c) WRR-2017

Comment

To be honest, what our binds are (pretty much) are the *default* control scheme for whichever device you are using (some additions added if needed[1]), and then we put our keyboard presses on top of that.

What the bindED reader does is just read the file that is selected (or the most recent edited bind file) and then use the keypresses in there to press which ever key is needed for the command you give.

Now, saying that: At the moment, this is a list of the commands in elite dangerous that we need to have a keyboard press assigned to. It doesn't have to be the *exact same key listed* just that *something* needs to be bound to it inside Elite Dangerous.

I personally have my X52 setup just as a bunch of normal joystick buttons. the saitek software doesn't press any keyboard actions for me. Voice Attack does all the keyboard pressing for me.

My gamepad uses reWASD to rebind the buttons/paddles. by *default* it doesn't press any keyboard buttons, although I am tempted to rebind the paddles on it so that they are not "standard joystick" buttons and instead additional functions (keyboard or gamepad combo).

[1] Because for some control schemes... good luck using the SUV with default controls. It isn't even necessarily bound.

Comment

Thanks for that information. It clears up a few things for me. As I stated, I sat down and programmed the X55 using a combination of an open source app called "WinMerge", which allowed me to set two profiles next to each other on one screen, and copy portions of the .xml code directly from one profile (file) or "binding" directly into another profile/binding in exactly the right place, as WinMerge shows the differences between the two profile files with highlighted sections, so that makes it relatively easy to build one. I actually took sections from one profile/bind, like "Targeting", and merged it into the profile under construction. I can now take bits and pieces from many profiles and merge them into one that works for me.

As well, I discovered another bug in VA. For those with X55's and X56's, pay attention here. I saw many threads about folks with these sticks getting confused voice responses from buttons they press on either the throttle or stick, usually associated with the "hats" on the stick. An example would be the stick hat is used for thrusters for landing and taking off, but you use it, and get some weird action like ASTRA stating "I'm lowering landing gear, or the cargo scoop", with that action, and several other hat functions give the wrong command or voice response, usually blaming these things on VA or the Voice Pack.

The cause of this, is that you have your "Joysticks" assigned in Voice Attack set backwards. On the X55 and X56, you use two USB ports, and I agree there is some USB arbitration on how they look to the Windows system here, but in VA, if you have the "STICK" set as "Joystick #1" and the "THROTTLE" set as "Joystick #2", and you get actions like I just explained above, try turning them around in VA's Joystick Assignments. Make the Throttle "Joystick #1" and the Stick "Joystick #2" and see of that fixes any problems you may have as far as the Voice Responses you get for the hat switches. Also, there are no "hats" (or only one 2 position hat) on the throttle, so don't check the box for "POV" Hats on the throttle in the number one slot of VA. Check all three POV Hats on the Stick.

For VA itself, maybe some logic in the code for Joystick Assignments could detect this and advise the user?

In any event, I relented and built my binding/profile for my needs, and learned some things along the way.

Be well.

Comment

To be honest, if you already *know* what binds you need, it is just easier/faster to manually do it inside Elite Dangerous. The manual editing that you are doing is only worthwhile if you don't have the device that you want a set of binds for to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangrel View Post
                To be honest, if you already *know* what binds you need, it is just easier/faster to manually do it inside Elite Dangerous. The manual editing that you are doing is only worthwhile if you don't have the device that you want a set of binds for to hand.
                Well, the last part of what you said was greek to me, but as for programming my own bind outside of Elite, I really don't know what functions I want where. In some profiles, I like the galaxy map navigation. In others, I like the targeting of subsystems on a thumbwheel. In others, some of the comms panel activations work for me. To pull up each in Elite, document the keystrokes, and then try to work on one bind taking bits from others, all in Elite is difficult at best for most users. Put two or three .xml files on the screen side-by side, in a file comparison, lets you move entire sections (keystrokes and button presses) from one to the other with ease.

What is simple for you may be difficult for someone else. What is easy for me may be beyond someone else's capability. Most have no choice but to change the bindings within Elite only.

Comment

Originally posted by incryptx View Post

Well, the last part of what you said was greek to me, but as for programming my own bind outside of Elite, I really don't know what functions I want where.
                  When you don't have an X52 plugged in (or a game controller, or any other device) then Elite Dangerous will NOT show you those control schemes available from the drop down box. Also, on top of that, if you (like me) have an X52/gamepad/keyboard setup (gamepad for SUV, X52 for ship, keyboard for chat/buttons for VA to press), and say don't have the game pad plugged in at the time of launching the game, then Elite will NOT show those binds in the settings, not even as "this is what they should be", but as a blank entry.

In some profiles, I like the galaxy map navigation. In others, I like the targeting of subsystems on a thumbwheel. In others, some of the comms panel activations work for me. To pull up each in Elite, document the keystrokes, and then try to work on one bind taking bits from others, all in Elite is difficult at best for most users. Put two or three .xml files on the screen side-by side, in a file comparison, lets you move entire sections (keystrokes and button presses) from one to the other with ease.
                  I am surprised that you say that it is "difficult at best" for most users. I mean, what is harder than pressing the key/action for what you want and *knowing* that Elite Dangerous has mapped it correctly.

Fair enough. When I have done the manual editing of the binds file, I do it side by side (notepad++ comparison), and even then... just seeing what is causing it NOT load up is sometimes a mission in futility (especially as you cannot tell what is actually missing from one or the other, because you now have a unique setup).

Side note: This is a handy site if you want to print out your bind display https://www.mcdee.net/elite/]Linkage[/url]

Side note 2: Elite will also willingly (or at least last time I did checked) allow you to have clashing binds with manual hacking... whilst if you use the ingame UI, it won't (ie this bind is also used for X/Y/Z, do you want to rebind it?)
                  Last edited by Gangrel; 12-27-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X