No announcement yet.

Discovered bugs with the start of chapter 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I confirm the issue from post #17 and #45. Despite having changed any bind using L/R ALT/CTRL (4 combo's) into a combination of something else (simpler), the problem remains of processing Toggle Commands (Lights on/off) which leads to "That's already done" after requesting the first toggle ("on") and then followed with the second request ("off).

Meanwhile, ED has been updated, so we're talking here 2 updates (variables) to see what's going on: ED update and Singularity update.
    I re-installed the previous HCS (part of Voice Packs dated Dec 2018), which worked fine back then, yet I got the same problem ("That's already done" on Toggle Commands). Back to the latest.

My conclusion is that ED has changed something internally that conflicts with VA and/or Singularity. Am sure HCS will work it out.

Edit:
    I found a website that might be related (cause?) to this issue:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ctrl-modifiers
    Has ED changed the way it reads certain inputs?
    Has Singularity gotten a bug regarding reading ED's (new?) I/O method?
    Is Singularity (now) sending and/or reading invalid/outdated codes with the last ED update?

Unfortunately, and understandably, Singularity code is signed against debugging.
    Last edited by Arty-1975; 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arty-1975 View Post
      I confirm the issue from post #17 and #45. Despite having changed any bind using L/R ALT/CTRL (4 combo's) into a combination of something else (simpler), the problem remains of processing Toggle Commands (Lights on/off) which leads to "That's already done" after requesting the first toggle ("on") and then followed with the second request ("off).

Meanwhile, ED has been updated, so we're talking here 2 updates (variables) to see what's going on: ED update and Singularity update.
      I re-installed the previous HCS (part of Voice Packs dated Dec 2018), which worked fine back then, yet I got the same problem ("That's already done" on Toggle Commands). Back to the latest.

My conclusion is that ED has changed something internally that conflicts with VA and/or Singularity. Am sure HCS will work it out.

Edit:
      I found a website that might be related (cause?) to this issue:
      https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ctrl-modifiers
      Has ED changed the way it reads certain inputs?
      Has Singularity gotten a bug regarding reading ED's (new?) I/O method?
      Is Singularity (now) sending and/or reading invalid/outdated codes with the last ED update?

Unfortunately, and understandably, Singularity code is signed against debugging.
      Try running VA as admin, ED did something to change how the file is meant to be read (it appears)
      1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
      2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
      3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
      4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
      WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Done that. Ran quite a few tests today (4, actually 8) to attempt to isolate the issue of "Toggle" based (ie. gear, light, cargo-scoop, etc) errors.

Test
        Run VA first as non-admin user and then as admin user to see if that makes any difference. Use Notepad as target window to catch VA's output meant for ED for Toggle based commands. In all tests there are no messages of any missing keybinds: the Missing Keybinds check comes back clean.

Installed HCS Tools v1.01 and imported Singularity in VA, restarted VA as per installation instructions.
        VA starts with version indicators Plugin v3.01 and Singularity v2.02
        Both tests show the same outcome (described below).
        Uninstalled HCS Tools v1.01

Installed HCS Tools v1.02 and imported Singularity in VA, restarted VA as per installation instructions.
        VA starts with version indicators Plugin v3.02 and Singularity v2.03
        Both tests show the same outcome (described below).
        Kept HCS Tools v1.02

So far, these 4 testing combo's (v1.0x in admin and non-admin modes) were expanded to see if either the Plugin or Singularity might be an issue:
        • ran the old version (v1.01, with Singularity v2.02) and used the newer Plugin v3.02 too (pasted into place and used in VA)
        • ran the new version (v1.02 with Singularity v2.03) and used the older older Plugin v3.01 too (pasted into place and was used in VA)
        In each of the 8 test scenario's, Notepad was used to catch the output (keyboard entries) as set in ED (Toggle):
        • L - Landing Light On/Off
        • G - Gear Down/Up
        • C - Cargo Scoop (Deploy/Retract)
        Outcome
        Running the test in all 8 (eight) scenarios led to the same output:
        ANY initial commands (L/G/C ) was caught in notepad properly (and shown in ED to work!), but ANY subsequent counter command (Gear Down now Gear Up), did NOT lead to catching the same character again, but for each new L/G/C request VA only kept saying "That's already been done." No output caught in Notepad, as if the command wasn't sent out. Does Singularity think that it's the same (repeat) request as before and hence defaults to "That's already been done"?

Other checks:
        • I verified my KeyboardLayout and system settings from the binds in "HCS Voice Pack Plugins\ControlSchemes" and they match. This was based on: http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...eyboard-layout
        • I checked my system settings in Windows10 to see if there's anything that could interfere with keyboard entries (auto-correct, text suggestions, you name it) and turned them all OFF.
        In any possible combination (admin/non-admin/versions/System Settings) it seems that Singularity is not "moving on" after a request for a Toggle, ie Gear Down, because the next request for Gear Up is only answered with "That's already been done" without any further key sent to Notepad (meant for ED). Is she out of sequence, stuck?

I remember it all used to work end of last year (Nov-Dec 2018), perhaps on an earlier version, or is it just my rig?
        Last edited by Arty-1975; 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Ok, managed to get it to work properly, finally. I'm not saying I found THE solution, just that I have been able to solve my problem of certain toggle based commands not working in ED. Perhaps more will work now too?

The line with what "Gangrel" said above ("ED did something to change how the file is meant to be read") made me think. If I, and some others, are the ones with the problem, then does the problem lie with us in particular? I watched a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FB58BhvTs) about setting your bindings in ED and let Voice Pack read them out.

Unfortunately that didn't work out for the toggle specific commands.

The next questions then were: is there something wrong with either the bindings file (.bind) in format/syntax (legacy?), or does do any or all of the bindings have some character/combo/keystroke that upsets Singularity I don't know about (keyboard characters)?

I decided to run the show backwards. I'm sure that someone has already done this, or it has been referred to in the manuals. I'm mere sharing my experience: let singularity create the bindings and enter HOTAS bindings where necessary.

1. Start ED and go to Controls.
          2. Load your default HOTAS settings, in my case X56. This file is loaded elsewhere and ED can access it. Singularity cannot access this file, hence the Missing Bindings checker goes bananas if run.
          3. Change something in the bindings and press Apply. A new bindings file "custom.bind" is saved in your Frontier bindings folder and a reference file "StartPreset.start" is (re)created in this same folder. Close ED.
          4. Start VA. Now Singularity can access this file. Load VA and get to the Customizer. Load your profile (custom.bind) and let Singularity create you a new binding list. That should now be saved as "Custom.3.0.bind". The same filename is referred to in "StartPreset.start"; this is telling ED what bindings to load at startup. Close VA.
          5. You can rename your binding file "Custom.3.0.bind" into anything else (for ID later), but then make sure you change the internal referenced name as well (open in notepad and look at the top lines of the contents) as this is what ED will show you in Controls as a profile. Save the file. Open the "StartPreset.start" and use the new chosen binding filename to make sure ED loads it at startup.
          6. Start ED and modify your HOTAS based commands. Leave the right column for Singularity (got loads of complex combo commands). Close ED.
          7. Start VA in admin mode and run the bindings checker. If all went well, error messages of missing bindings should not have occurred. If they do, close VA, start ED to update the missing ones. Close ED.
          8 Repeat step 7 till you're clear of binding error messages.
          9. Start VA in admin mode and start ED. Enjoy error-free VA with Singularity.

Hope this helps. Q's, post below.

Comment

Ironically, the only part is that really makes any difference is the last part (the running VA as admin). for "toggle commands" not necessarily working correctly.

And that is because we were unable to get the status directly from the journal file (either that or they changed how it is meant to be accessed). So this is where the "run as admin" part comes in; as this *appears* to fix the issue.
            1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
            2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
            3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
            4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
            WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Thanks Gangrel. I tried this exactly using my "old" settings which were made using the method of entering my own settings in ED's Controls and then let VA read them out. The toggle commands didn't work, despite having started VA in admin mode (see post #48)!
              Now that I applied the "reverse" trick and added my HOTAS commands to Singularity created binds, everything works. Seems to me that somehow my personal, old bindings had something wrong in them for use in Singularity. Glad though that it worked out now. I can now focus on using Singularity to full extent and am happy I purchased all the crew.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X