Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elite Dangerous Google card board w/ IR tracking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite Dangerous Google card board w/ IR tracking?

So I have played around with the google cardboard setup a bit, and have even used it with elite dangerous a few times. It was awesome, I really felt immersed in the game. But, one of the issues I faced was that my accelerometer or gyroscope definitely has some drift to it making the game hard to play when this takes effect.

I had an idea the other day.

I don't own an IR tracker but do you guys think it would be possible to project the graphics output to a phone (google cardboard) while using an IR tracker to monitor head movement?

I want a VR experience without buying a Rift or Vive.

Leave your comments, I'm interested to hear your ideas on how to make this happen.

btw, I have already tried using the PC application that projects the screens graphics to a google cardboard (tethered by USB) as well as the android application to track movement using the on board sensors, this is where the drift becomes a problem.

I am also using;
    Windows 10
    Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X
    Voice Attack w/ Alix voice pack
    Note 4 and I've tried Trinus VR

Originally posted by TATERxxWARDY View Post
    So I have played around with the google cardboard setup a bit, and have even used it with elite dangerous a few times. It was awesome, I really felt immersed in the game. But, one of the issues I faced was that my accelerometer or gyroscope definitely has some drift to it making the game hard to play when this takes effect.

I had an idea the other day.

I don't own an IR tracker but do you guys think it would be possible to project the graphics output to a phone (google cardboard) while using an IR tracker to monitor head movement?

I want a VR experience without buying a Rift or Vive.

Leave your comments, I'm interested to hear your ideas on how to make this happen.

btw, I have already tried using the PC application that projects the screens graphics to a google cardboard (tethered by USB) as well as the android application to track movement using the on board sensors, this is where the drift becomes a problem.

I am also using;
    Windows 10
    Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X
    Voice Attack w/ Alix voice pack
    Note 4 and I've tried Trinus VR
    You might have to grab a look at the noIRtracker (or similar software) to see if that can be tied into the Headtracking for Elite....
    1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
    2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
    3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
    4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
    WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

that's very interesting, I didn't know you could get Elite onto a google headset....how is it done?
      Join the Multi-Crew revolution, because one voicepack is just not enough!
      http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...i-crew-profile

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Comment

Well probably close to a year ago I tried this with the Trinus android and PC applications. I believe the phone at the time was a Droid X worked pretty well but back then it was ED that allowed the user to select whether to display the graphics in a side by side manner (VR mode) rather than through Steam VR. As of late I am using a Note 4 and while using the applications. I no longer have the ability to tether through USB and I do not have USB tehtering through Verizon, the phone thinks I am trying to supply its data usage to the computer. The Trinus application seems pretty nice, lots of options for different phones and VR setup like Samsung VR, individual phones types, oculus, google cardboard, and custom setups. The application is free but only allows you to use it for 15 mins at a time before the phone displays a prompt for purchasing the full version.

Currently I can connect/tether through wifi, this is a little choppy but works. I also seem to have a display issue through the phone, the left eye is positioned correctly/centered in the left portion of the phone but the right eye grphics are way off towards left making this unusable at the moment. This may just need more research on my part in order to get this working.

Also,for VR head tracking, I have seen a video of someone using a leap motion to track head move moment by taping it to the front of their VR headset, this may be an option.

Comment

Working...
        X