Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working with EDDI (follow-up on other topics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with EDDI (follow-up on other topics)

My apologies in advance: I am going to be quite detailed in this post, because other people might be interested in the whole story. For the feature request, just scroll to the bottom of the post.

I installed EDDI yesterday following the tips in this topic:
    http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...tion-with-eddi
    Works a charm, but I walked into the same problems as everyone else does: AI's talking at the same time, as discussed in this topic:
    http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...with-multicrew

I too have turned off a lot of options in the EDDI configuration. It takes some time, but most of their functionality doesn't add anything to the HCS Voicepacks. EDDI shines in gathering and giving information, not in letting you know you are lowering your landing gear... I agree with Gangrel that the voicpacks and EDDI are two different programs and installing both is bound to give some conflicts. In his last post in the last mentioned topic Gangrel says: "Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there is no clear method (although I could well be wrong on this part) to tell when EDDI is going to do something, so that the Singularity voice pack doesn't (say anything)". This post is a reaction to that statement.

For EDDI beginners: you can switch off EDDI (by default with the command "shut up") and it will not talk until you ask a question. 90% of the information functionality can be done by questions alone. Do some homework in EDDI's Voice Attack profile (very basic stuff in comparison to the Voicepacks) and you get full control over when EDDI is going to give you the information you want.

Feature request:
    Most people using EDDI like the information it scrapes from everywhere about systems, stations and bodies. This information is mostly given while in Hyperspace. I like my voicepack talking a lot! So don't want to shut anything up. For my use case, it would be awesome to have a simple option to tell the voicepack to work as normal all the time, except in Hyperspace. Once we have jumped it should go to mute or non-verbose, until we drop out of Hyperspace. This only cuts out some filler-remarks (although I really love the countdown), so it does not impact functionality.

Discleamer: I do not own ASTRA and don't know about Multi-crew (if it still exists), so it could be that given information is incorrect for ASTRA users.

Originally posted by CMDR B.A.R View Post
    My apologies in advance: I am going to be quite detailed in this post, because other people might be interested in the whole story. For the feature request, just scroll to the bottom of the post.

I installed EDDI yesterday following the tips in this topic:
    http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...tion-with-eddi
    Works a charm, but I walked into the same problems as everyone else does: AI's talking at the same time, as discussed in this topic:
    http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum...with-multicrew

I too have turned off a lot of options in the EDDI configuration. It takes some time, but most of their functionality doesn't add anything to the HCS Voicepacks. EDDI shines in gathering and giving information, not in letting you know you are lowering your landing gear... I agree with Gangrel that the voicpacks and EDDI are two different programs and installing both is bound to give some conflicts. In his last post in the last mentioned topic Gangrel says: "Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there is no clear method (although I could well be wrong on this part) to tell when EDDI is going to do something, so that the Singularity voice pack doesn't (say anything)". This post is a reaction to that statement.
    The reason as to why I said what I said, was because whenever I have used EDDI, I always used it standalone and not the voice attack profile; and I always ended up editing the stock EDDI personality (as in; gutted it down to almost zero responses) because it kept on firing over the HCS voicepack.

For EDDI beginners: you can switch off EDDI (by default with the command "shut up") and it will not talk until you ask a question. 90% of the information functionality can be done by questions alone. Do some homework in EDDI's Voice Attack profile (very basic stuff in comparison to the Voicepacks) and you get full control over when EDDI is going to give you the information you want.
    And yet, what I was trying to get across was that there was no method to just keep both running at the same time (without modification) and putting the other voice on hold whilst it was saying something. So whilst the voice command works, it is a bit annoying to keep on enabling/disabling EDDI just to ensure that it doesn't fire over the HCS voicepack (or vice versa)

Feature request:
    Most people using EDDI like the information it scrapes from everywhere about systems, stations and bodies. This information is mostly given while in Hyperspace. I like my voicepack talking a lot! So don't want to shut anything up. For my use case, it would be awesome to have a simple option to tell the voicepack to work as normal all the time, except in Hyperspace. Once we have jumped it should go to mute or non-verbose, until we drop out of Hyperspace. This only cuts out some filler-remarks (although I really love the countdown), so it does not impact functionality.
    Suggestion has been noted; although as you noted: the countdown is nice.

Discleamer: I do not own ASTRA and don't know about Multi-crew (if it still exists), so it could be that given information is incorrect for ASTRA users.
    Multi-Crew (and in fact all the old profiles) has been supplanted by our Singularity profile (along with our plugin)
    1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
    2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
    3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
    4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
    WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

I think I can offer some info (since I went down this rabbit hole myself a few weeks back) that might be helpful? Apologies to the HCS folks since this is really more a discussion about EDDI, but I wanted to offer my experience of how I tinkered with EDDI to get it and HCS Voice Packs to (usually) cooperate and not over-talk each other. The TLDR version = add Pauses to EDDI's scripts (in the EDDI app's interface, not in Voice Attack) at relevant bits. The tricky parts are:
      1. Knowing which EDDI script to modify, and
      2. Knowing where in the script to add the pause, and
      3. Based on your experience with your HCS voice pack(s), how long to make the pause(s)
      It's basically all a delicate balancing act. And it's not a magic bullet; I've found there are some times where it's just unavoidable that the in-game computer, HCS, and EDDI are all going to speak at the same time.
      • I strongly recommend reading https://github.com/cmdrmcdonald/Elit...usDataProvider if you haven't already; helps get a foundational understanding of how EDDI works and how you can use / modify it. Let's say an in-game event happens and triggers an EDDI Voice Attack command (just one of many things EDDI can do). For example:
        • You request docking at a station; there's a command in the EDDI Voice Attack profile for: ((EDDI docking granted)) that can get triggered when you make the request
        • ((EDDI docking granted)) Voice Attack script can use regular Voice Attack commands along with EDDI variables (see https://github.com/cmdrmcdonald/Elit...ck-Integration), and then can also trigger, via the EDDI plugin, the "docking granted" script that exists within the separate EDDI application.
        • If you modify EDDI's own "docking granted" script (not the stuff in Voice Attack), you can add a Pause so that the actions & speech from that script don't trigger right away. In my case, I found and modified an EDDI script from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ommands-Thread (page 8, post 115) along with some other bits but added a pause so that EDDI doesn't start speaking until after, if I recall, 8 seconds -- I found this to be enough time for HCS voice packs to say their bits, ask their Invoke questions, etc, but still (usually) triggers far enough in advance before you get near the landing pad (unless you're a speed demon and boosting your way into the station). Voila, EDDI and HCS are no longer speaking at the same time. At least for this event.
          • Note that I didn't use that post's Voice Attack script, since the author made clear he uses it just to relay his location & assigned landing pad via chat to friends he's grouped with. I do Solo mode because 5 years of World of Warcraft was enough to make me hate people.
        • In the ((docking granted)) Voice Attack script, I took further inspiration from a discussion on page 15 of that Frontier Forums thread, and have Voice Attack set to quietly play suitable (if entirely unoriginal) background music as soon as my docking request is approved. I opted to use Voice Attack for this part because VA lets you control the volume level of the sound file and override it's playing if necessary, something EDDI doesn't do (it just plays the sound file you tell it to at whatever volume it was originally recorded at).
      • As I understand it, EDDI typically responds to game events that get written to the journal, and how he responds is usually customizable via the scripts within the EDDI program itself -- the hard part is figuring out which scripts are the ones you need to edit. However there are wrinkles:
        • Some in-game details don't get written to the journal or aren't available at all. The best example being the script where EDDI can read off details about the pirate trying to interdict you; unfortunately one piece that doesn't exist for NPC pirates is their combat rank, so, it's not that useful and you're forced to glance over to the left part of the HUD to see their combat rank to know if you need to run away or have a reasonable chance of beating them if they succeed in interdicting you.
        • Another wrinkle is that EDDI can "fall behind" sometimes and report things long after they've happened, usually when there's a lot of stuff being written to the journal in quick succession. E.g., in combat, his warnings about shield and hull strength usually don't start getting spoken until I'm already just so much space dust (yes, I'm a combat n00b).
      Anyway... hope that helps at least a little bit.
      Last edited by Cmdr Galyock; 29 May 2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Ouch...! After 2 days playing around with the 3 programs, I only now am starting to understand how it all works.

I still think that my feature request is valid, be it for beginners. But my current conclusion is that combining all three: HCS Voicpacks, EDDI and VoiceAttack is not for the average player. If you can accept that some work needs to be done and if you are willing to except some conflicts, you could try this out. If you 'just' want it to work, 'just' don't.

That said: I am having a blast exploring all the options and creating all sort of custom ways to make EDDI work for my Voicepack, instead of having them battle for my attention! My only regret is: I haven't played Elite Dangerous for 2 days.

Thanks Galyock for the resources and thanks (again) Gangrel for your reply and for pointing out EDDI can be used stand alone (I had not figured that out). I hope I did not offend you in my opening post, was not my intention.
        Last edited by CMDR B.A.R; 31 May 2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Welcome to my world (more time tweaking/adjusting packs rather than playing the game)
          1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
          2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
          3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
          4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
          WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Comment

Happy to help CMDR B.A.R! And I can relate RE: spending more time tinkering than playing. You may want to head on over to https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...to-life/page48 and review some of the upcoming functions / features for EDDI that were just discussed within the past 24 or so hours. I'm going to give Darkcyde's EDDI personality a whirl this weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X